Degrees and Certifications:
BSW Licensed Mental Health Professional
Mrs. Shaquana Byrd Graham
My name is Mrs. Graham and I am your School Social Worker. I have over 10 years of social work experience in the following settings: school, mental health, and case management. This is my second year serving as school social worker here at Northwest. I received my BSW from Elizabeth City State University in 2008. I am currently at student at Walden University seeking my MSW. In 2018, I became a Licensed Qualified Mental Health Professional in the state of Virginia. Working with young adults has always been a passion of mine, I take pride in serving Halifax County and making a difference in our community.
What is a School Social Worker?
School Social Workers are an integral link between school, home, and community in the effort to help students achieve academic and personal success. They work directly with school counselors and staff as well as students and families in the effort to eliminate barriers to learning. As a part of an interdisciplinary team to help students succeed, School Social Workers also facilitate community involvement in the schools while advocating for student success. School Social Workers offer a unique perspective in dreaming, planning, and setting the future stage for student success.
Examples of Issues That May Prompt a Referral:
- Food, clothing, and other basic needs
- Mental and behavioral health concerns
- Housing, rent, and utility assistance via community resource referral
- Change in academic performance
- Chronic absence and/ or tardiness issues
- Medical needs (hygiene, dental, etc.)
- Navigating government benefits (WIC, TANF, SNAP, and more)
- Individual and group sessions