The elementary years are the foundational years for a strong send off into secondary education. They are filled with the excitement of exploring, learning, and sharing. You’ll find bright little minds at work readying to read, write, count, communicate, and socialize. Dr. Seuss said it best: “Congratulations! Today is your day. You’re off to great places! You’re off and away!”(Excerpt: Oh, The Places You’ll Go!)
Halifax County Schools’ (HCS) Elementary Education Program engages students in a sound basic education with opportunities for enrichment. The early learning students are taught the K-5 NC Standard Course of Study by highly qualified teachers. Promotion from one grade to the next is based upon the student’s satisfactory reading achievement.
The current school-based elementary programs include the:
Institute of Global Learning Program: Dual Language/Spanish Immersion
- Global curriculum and dual language immersion to impact student growth.
- 50/50 model: Instruction is split between Spanish and English
- Spanish instruction begins in kindergarten and goes to fifth grade.
Leadership Programs: Inspiring Students to Lead
- Emphasizes a school leadership awareness culture, climate, and advancement of leadership opportunities
- Designed to create a leadership foundation for students in kindergarten through fifth grade
- Customized student leadership goals are encouraged
- Students receive coaching in leadership & collaborative skills
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) Program
- Emphasizes integrated project-based learning
- Fosters critical thinking through problem-solving
- Provides for different learning styles
STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) Program
- Emphasizes Arts Integration
- Promotes innovative thinking
- Opportunities for authentic growth and development