HCS’ Pre-K Curriculum includes:
- Ages and Stages Questionnaire (ASQ®-3 screening tool)
- The Creative Curriculum for Preschool
- Teaching Strategies Gold (online student portfolio)
Each HCS Pre-K classroom uses an approved curriculum that aligns with the North Carolina Foundations for Early Learning and Development as set forth in the NC Child Care Rules. The curriculum is comprehensive, evidence-based, and has a reading component. It also includes a screening tool and student portfolio.
The Ages and Stages Questionnaire is a Pre-K developmental screening tool. Parents and guardians respond to questions to help create their child’s school readiness snapshot. The comprehensive screening tool reliably measures development in 5 key domains: communication, gross motor, fine motor, problem solving, and personal-social.
The Creative Curriculum for Preschool is based on five fundamental principles:
- Positive interactions and relationships with adults provide a critical foundation for successful learning.
- Social–emotional competence is a significant factor in school success.
- Constructive, purposeful play supports essential learning.
- The physical environment affects the type and quality of learning interactions.
- Teacher–family partnerships promote development & learning
The Creative Curriculum for Preschool features exploration and discovery as a way of learning. Robust Daily Resources provide the instructional tools and materials to engage children in project-based investigations and make every moment of the day meaningful, intentional, and engaging.
Teaching Strategies Gold is a systematic observation-based formative assessment tool with a fixed plan and structure. The tool is used to gather individualized student data throughout the day.